17.1.11

deep hair thoughts with ellebeezy

So blondes have more fun. It's science. But upkeep on a lighter 'do can be TIME CONSUMING! Lately I have noticed a lot of celebrities with two-toned hair. Or as my mom puts it, 'lazy hair.'


The official term for this is balayage. Balayage is a hair coloring technique which is designed to create very natural-looking highlights which grow out without developing a noticeable and obvious root.

This coloring technique emerged in Paris in the 1970s; the word “balayage” is French for “to sweep,” a reference to the way in which the color is applied. After crossing the pond to the United States, balayage became extremely popular in the late 1990s.

When hair is colored with the balayage process, the highlights are painted on by hand in a sweeping motion which moves from the base to the tip of the hair. At the base, the color is applied very lightly, while at the tip, the color is very heavy. The result is a chunky highlight which looks naturally sunbleached, and as the hair grows out, the root will be concealed for the first few months by the thinner color applied to the base of the hair.

sadf








    

 This look is not new. Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas was rocking it (and the world) back in the 60s.

Ultimate goddess of blonde hair/dark roots
The trick with this look is not to lighten the base color. If you neglect to keep up with the base color, it´ll look quite weird, because you´ll end up with roots...TWICE! The exact opposite of this easygoing and natural look.

I'm going to go for a balayage (sounds so much cooler than two-tone hair) once mine is a bit longer. I think the sweeping effect really looks lovely on long locks. That way when I get tired of it, I can chop off the lighter bits and move on!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Hello Katey said...

I've been coveting this for sooo long. So good for us lazy girls that don't have the time or want to put in the effort for "done hair". I'm trying to get up the guts to do it on my own. But I dont know...

January 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Hello Katey said...

http://kateydutton.blogspot.com/search/label/hair

January 22, 2011 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Lizzy Belle said...

K I just noticed that you've been commenting on some of my posts! haha, slow on the uptake :) And what can I say great minds think alike. You've got the perfect color and cut to pull this off. Maybe the swain-iac can help you with it?

February 1, 2011 at 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home