26.3.11

Packing it in pt. 1 - Shoe me what you got.

I'm off to Spain in less than two months and I'm currently assembling my backpacking supplies. This process is part fun / part hassle. I hate spending money but I do enjoy making lists. And crossing things off lists.
I've basing my supply list off of Rick Steve's suggestions for women. The only special supplies I need to purchase are a lightweight raincoat / backpack / daypack and "appropriate walking shoes."

Every travel website seems to suggest the same types of comfortable shoes - Tevas, Birkenstocks or some variation on a lesbian hiking boot/shoe. Why does a comfortable walking shoe have to be hideous? [Noted: Ecco has some decent 'walking' shoes] I don't mind buying an ugly pair of shoes that are comfortable. I just don't want to spend $100 on something I'm going to hide in the back of my closet. 

Instead of beating myself up about what shoes to get I'm buying a new pair of Tom's. The pair I've had since last September is still in good shape. Tom's are lightweight, comfortable, and easy to pair with different outfits - they may not be the sturdiest shoes with a million 5 star reviews but they're well made and they support a great cause. 

I know what the masses will say - you need arch support blah,blah,blah. Last fall, I wore my current Tom's while I worked at a restaurant where I was on my feet for 4-8 hour shifts and I never felt like they were uncomfortable. I'll buy some great insoles and if I get over there and start hating my life I'll just suck it up and buy some walking shoes over there.

Now on to the fun stuff - what color/pattern should I get? (comments appreciated ppl!)

Funky blue sumatra print

Marial Cordones - no laces required!

Burlap Natural Style

Purple sumatra - funkin sweet



Red Classics

My current pair is black so I want something a little spicier for my next pair. Not really into the glitter Toms, but I'm not hating, they are just not my jam.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ash-we are electricity said...

you could get a blank pair and do something too it, paint markers or embroidery!!! My only rec, is to pick a shoe that leaves your feet dry and as odor free as possible...you dont want to step into a hostel or wherever and have a cute dude or whoever, and have converse, or vans sans socks feet...lol. no really.

March 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Lizzy Belle said...

I like the idea of shoes as a blank art canvas. And thanks for the stinky feet advice, haha! All day wandering around sans socks = stinky feet, no love.

March 27, 2011 at 10:37 PM  
Anonymous christa said...

i like the fourth one down :]

April 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home