22.2.11

[[Paul Collins]] [at] [the] ]bishop[

Last night I attended one of the best shows I have ever seen in Indiana. I had never visited the Bishop before. The venue was decent-sized, an all ages show, and well attended. 













Free tickets. That's right.

Tasty Beer. My first time to try 3floyds & I was happy with my $3 pint.
It was the Anniversary show for Landlocked Records, and they did it big. There was even cake -

Charlie &; the Skunks played first and totally rocked my socks. They have kinda a grimy, psychobilly thing going on. Their myspace says they're from Bloomington, but a few of the people at the show said they hailed from the same north Indiana town as The Half-Rats, Lafayette. The Half Rats sounded really tight, a melodic surfy, old R&R vibe. One of their former members is now in CoCoComa and they recently toured with Shannon & the Clams.

Dancin' shoes.
Before PC came on, a random chick told me to come up front and dance since "Paul likes it when girls dance," so I stood mere inches from the band and even got to flash them in the face with my camera phone.







If you don't already know, Paul Collins Beat, his previous band, wrote Blondie's breakout single Hangin' On the Telephone, which Paul delighted us with. I recorded a couple short videos - uploaded on my youTube if you'd like to check it. Please excuse my camera skills :)
Sneak a peek at the set list.

After the show I got the chance to talk to Paul and some of the guys from the Half Rats. Paul is a nice, sweet guy, who has been making good music for awhile. He seems really excited about the current revival of garage rock, and promised to return to Indiana someday.


get lost!

After the show some friends and I went to a bar I'd never been to before and played skee-ball and a random game where you skate little discs across a wooden table covered in sand. Kind of like mini-curling over sand.
Such a fun night! I will definitely be back to The Bishop and can't wait to see more of what Bloomington music has to offer.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home